RE: Running Authoring Apps from CD

Subject: RE: Running Authoring Apps from CD
From: "Douglas S. Bailey (AL)" <dbailey -at- commandalkon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 08:33:50 -0500

Actually, unless the programs he wants to use will run without needing
certain files in place and certain keys in the registry (like Adobe Acrobat,
for example) then even a ZIP drive won't work. Especially a ZIP drive, in
fact, because the route he seems to want to take would require entire
installations of applications be mounted on the CD-R/RW, which most likely
require more capacity than a ZIP drive can provide.

Mark, I would suggest you try this (assuming you have access to a machine
with a CD burner):

1) Burn a copy of your hard drive's installation of favorite authoring apps
onto a CD-R; just select the entire directory for each using your burner
application. Make sure you tell the app to close the CD-R.

2) Take the CD-R to a computer that doesn't have your authoring apps
installed and try running them by double-clicking their EXE files. If they
work then you're in like Flynn. If they complain that you need to re-run
Setup, you're screwed.

--Doug