Re: MS Publisher exporting to PDF???

Subject: Re: MS Publisher exporting to PDF???
From: Berk/Devlin <armadill -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 11:27:24 -0700

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 22:55:40 +1000, Sandra Charker <scharker -at- connectives -dot- com> wrote:
>> > ... This particular group creates their monthly newsletter in MS Publisher and (apparently) agonizes over the placement of every dot. They wish to post their newsletters verbatim (well, not merely verbatim -- pixelatim???) on-line. > >
>
>Not an answer to your question, but have you pointed out to them that this
>is a BAD IDEA. They won't get pixelatim reproduction online, it sounds
>likely to be a big download, and they risk preventing many visitors from
>seeing the publication at all. If it's a members only publication, that
>might be acceptable. If it's intended to provide information to the general
>public, they'd probably be better going with liquid format HTML.
>More work for you of course <g>

Sandra:

Only the current month's newsletter (so won't take much space) will be available, for download as a pdf, from the group's website. The rest of the website will be implemented in standard HTML/PHP. But this way the newsletter will be easily printable for members and non-members alike (but the members will still also have it mailed to them monthly).

This project in general will be a lot of work and I am not looking to make more for myself. On the other hand, if I thought HTML were the way to go, I would have suggested it.

I treat volunteer work as seriously as paid work, especially since the benefit I get from work of this kind is that MY work as webmaster reaches potential sources of paid work. In this case, I believe that making these documents available in pdf is actually the best alternative.

You are not suggesting that liquid HTML would even approach pixelatim, are you? Cause if you know how to manage THAT, you ought to write a book about it and you'll be set for life.

--Emily

~ Emily Berk ~
On the web at www.armadillosoft.com *** Armadillo Associates, Inc. ~
~ Project management, developer relations and ~
extremely-technical technical documentation that developers find useful.~

Learn about tools and technologies for user assistance developers at