Why does this work?

Subject: Why does this work?
From: Anne -dot- Robotti -at- radisys -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:59:52 -0400

Okay, I just did something, and it worked. But I don't know why it worked,
and the online help doesn't seem to say *why*, and
searching the archives on MIF is a little disconcerting. We certainly talk
about MIF a lot!

I had files that were coming up with unavailable fonts. I converted them
to MIF files, searched for the font names, deleted
them, and then saved them as Frame docs. The unavailable fonts disappeared
and I understand that. About 1/3 of the
way through the files (there were 16) I accidentally converted a file to
MIF and then saved it as Frame and closed it
without that interim step of searching through the file for the font name
and deleting it. When I went to open the Frame
file again, there were no unavailable fonts. I'm stymied. I repeated that
procedure, save as MIF, save as Frame, with
no interim steps on all the rest of the files and it worked.

Somebody please tell me why it worked!

If this isn't closely enough related to tech writing, how about me saying
that I'm such an anal tech writer that not
understanding this is going to drive me bonkers? And that I think I should
understand the tools, does that get
me closer? :-)

Anne Robotti
Technical Writer
RadiSys Corporation
7 Clarke Drive, Cranbury NJ 08512
(609) 655-3111 x-326
Meddle not in the affairs of technical writers, for the box contains three
jacks and the board only has two plugs...

Learn about tools and technologies for user assistance developers at