OT - slightly - File extentions

Subject: OT - slightly - File extentions
From: "Anton Coetzee" <CoetzAJ2 -at- telkom -dot- co -dot- za>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:58:43 +0200

Some basic File extention types and descriptions - If not of interest
ignor.

( Positive feedback and assistances appreciated - These are not
Dictionary definitions - Negative feedback Keep to your self. ? = not
sure )

Some BASIC Extentions

asc - Ms Dos Text (Asci ?)
css - Hpertext Terxt Style Sheet
txt - Text mOnly
rtf - Rich Text format
doc - Windows Documents
dot - Document Templates
pps - Power point
mcw - Word for Macinstosh (Mac)
htm / html - Hpertex markup langauge / web page

exe - executable
tmp - Tempore
zip - Winzip File

Images

bmp - Bit map
dib - Windows DIB ?
clp - Windows - Clipboard
cut - Dr Halo
emf - Windows - Enhanced Metas File
eps - Encapsulated Postscript
fpx - Kodak FlashPix
wmf - Windows Meta File
gif - Compuserver Graphic Interchange
ibm - Delux paint
img - GEM Paint
iff - amiga graphic
ICO - icons ?

Jpeg / jpg / jif - JPEG - JFIF Compliant
mac - MacPaint
msp - Microsoft Paint
png - Portable network graphic
psp - Paint Shop Pro
pic - Pc Paint
psd - Photoshop
pbm - Portable Bitmap
pct - Macintosh Pict
pgm - PortableGreymap
ppm - portable pixelmap
raw - Raw file Format
ras - Sun raster Images
rle - Windows or Compuserve RLE ?
pcx - Zsoft Paintbrush
sct / ct - Scitex Continuous Tone
tif / tiff - Tagged Image Format
tga - Truevision Targa
wpg - Wordperfect Bitmap

shs - Windows scrap sheet / object

Some Commom HELP File Extentions.

chm - Compiled HTML help files
glo - Online Glossary support file
cab - Cabinet File
js - Java script
jar - Compressed Oracle
xml - Extensive Markup Language

RoboHelp File Extentions

hhp - Help Files
hhk - Help Index Files
hhc - Help Content Files
mpj - Project File

Commom Multimedia

AVI - Windows Movie File
AU - Audio File SUN
MID - MIDI MusicRMI -
WAV - Waveform Audio file

Search engines for File names

http://extsearch.com/exts.cgi

http://www.computerhope.com/dosext.htm#02

Hope this will help somebody else.

Couls some body add some popular / commom Framemaker / Quark other Help
tool file formats?

If you wish to add some pls send to me directly at
coetzaj2 -at- telkom -dot- co -dot- za

and I will later send out a new updated list.

Tron

Learn about tools and technologies for user assistance developers at