RE: manual of style

Subject: RE: manual of style
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 13:23:37 +0100

Hi Mira,

>I need help from ull... I'd like to
>know where can I get the
>Chicago manual of style on the net...? Also.. any good
>resources on the net for
>elements/manual of style?... looking forward to yr
>reply... thanks... ;0)

The Chicago Manual of Style is published by the University of Chicago Press.
Their website is:

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/

which I discovered by running the following search on google:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Chicago+Manual+of+Style%22+University+of+C
hicago+Press&btnG=Google+Search

The website runs a CMoS FAQ service, but I doubt if the whole manual of
style is available online. If you have a specific question that needs
answered immediately, that's where you can get an answer. If you need to
consult it regularly, buy a copy. You can use it as a base to develop your
own style guide (that is, specify that unless your style guide says
otherwise, you use the CMoS).

In matters of style, it's not so much what you choose, as making one choice
and having it consistently applied. If you need clarification on the
difference between style and grammar, one classic source is _The Elements of
Style_, by William Strunk Jr. The online source for this is
<http://www.bartleby.com/141/>, or again, you can buy the updated and more
famous version by Strunk and E.B.White, informally known as Strunkenwhite.
For other resources, why don't you check on Amazon?

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Digital Bridges, Scotland
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.

Learn about tools and technologies for user assistance developers at