RE: Salary - It's Easy /anecdote

Subject: RE: Salary - It's Easy /anecdote
From: "Beth Kane" <kanerb -at- concentric -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 05:00:03 -0700

A few days ago I called up the HR dept. of a good-sized company I worked for
in '99-00 to ask them how much my salary was, as I didn't remember the exact
figure. I just wanted to know, because it had been the highest paying job
I'd ever had, and I'm job-hunting now.

The new HR person tried to find my file and could not. She said "a lot of
the files were lost." I asked how that could have happened. She said "I
don't know, that was before my time." If a prospective employer had called
her to see if I ever worked there, she wouldn't have been able to verify it,
and I might've looked like a liar!

So then she wanted ME to tell HER what dates I worked there, my SS#, and
what I thought my salary was, in case anyone ever called her, I presume.
Pretty sad!

Beth Kane
Senior technical writer, Tucson
kanerb -at- concentric -dot- net