Technical Writers and Negotiating Skills

Subject: Technical Writers and Negotiating Skills
From: "Karen E. Black" <kblack_text -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 18:59:46 -0400

I learned just HOW bad my negotiating skills were at an alternate dispute resolution seminar (4 days last summer). Pricey course, but I was on contract (at Nortel), and I was able to take the time and money and add to my soft skills.

In an early exercise, I played a role as an art dealer who was negotiating terms with a semi-retired accountant who wanted to spend his severance on something for his wife. I didn't know he was between jobs and he didn't know I needed a part-time bookkeeper. And we never did find out.... From that and other role-playing exercises, I learned some things that I have been able to put into practice at work:

You can't negotiate with SMEs for their time (just kidding -- they always want coffee). Ask up front for a bit of their time (or go and hang at their desks) to discuss your questions -- don't ask -if- they have any time.

Open your mind (but not so much that your brain falls out -- thanks, Ann Landers). Instead of wondering later about things that generated questions so as not to appear iggerunt, I started asking questions at that time. Questions generate questions. I asked a lot more in my recent interviews than I ever had.

I also lost my fear of asking stupid questions (at the age of 43).

I learned not to say the first thing that came into my head, especially if it was a nasty joke....

Stop waiting for the speaker to stop speaking, and start listening (thanks, Quentin Tarantino).

If something (like salary, vacation days, telecommuting, gas allowance, health benefits) aren't on the table, put them on a side table. You remember where you gave in and remind them of that later.

I'm also high up on the wuss meter, and am generally happy with what I'm offered since I'm not hugely greedy or ambitious, but so far I have saved some money with tradespeople, and am really enjoying the job I have (that my agency negotiated for).

Karen E. Black
Technical Writer
www.dhltd.com
"Higgledy Piggledy, my white hen;
She lays eggs for gentlemen.
You cannot persuade her with gun or lariat
To come across for the proletariat."
--Dorothy Parker