Re: Salary - It's Easy

Subject: Re: Salary - It's Easy
From: Paul Sinasohn <sinasohn -at- sendmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 12:52:31 -0700

Not true. They have the right to check your previous salaries. And some
do so. Usually, they won't check with your current employer (that's why
they ask you) but they could check with other previous employers, and
you should be prepared to explain any large differences.

That's what the HR director at my company says, anyway. And she says
most HR people are not going to assume that a salary in another field is
relevant to a salary for tech writing. Also, the hiring manager will
have quite a bit to say about the salary, and will have relevant numbers
and local comparison ranges.

In my experience, companies get a reputation for paying way above or
below the average in an area (in my finance career, I worked for 2 such
- B of A and Dean Witter). Most hiring managers would have heard about
this; certainly the HR people would know - they do talk and network,
just as we do.

I always say "I'm looking for $$$(this much), but I'm flexible"

HR people assume that what I'm looking for is in line with what I'm
currently making, i guess.

Paul Sinasohn

--
******REMOVE NOSPAM FROM REPLY ADDRESS ABOVE******