RE: Salary issues ( a twist)

Subject: RE: Salary issues ( a twist)
From: "Michele Marques" <marquesm -at- autros -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 10:25:03 -0400

Christine -dot- Anameier -at- seagate -dot- com writes:

> What a great post... funny AND you make a good point: we're at a
> disadvantage dealing with people who do this kind of haggling every day as
> part of their job. There we are, sweating, employing our feeble
> negotiation
> skills for the first time in 6 months or 2 years, with someone who haggled
> three candidates down to burger-flipping wages before lunch.
>
> Not to say we can't prevail... but it's stressful and difficult.

It can be a bit stressful, but I believe it would be overly so if you think
of this as a battle that only one side will win. Keep in mind that if it
comes down to salary negotiations, that you both share the same goal of
having you work at that company.

Compensation is only one of the issues. If you have an idea what you should
be earning for that position, and what you would be happy with - then don't
worry too much if you didn't max out your potential salary. If you find out
after that you could have received a LOT more, then you probably didn't do
your homework and find out what the market will pay for those skills.

If they aren't willing to come close to your desired salary, then maybe the
company really wants someone more junior and/or with only some of the skills
on their wish list of "requirements".

Michele Marques, Technical Writer
AUTROS Healthcare Solutions, Inc.
marquesm -at- autros -dot- com <mailto:marquesm -at- autros -dot- com>

This material is intended for the use of the individual
to whom it is addressed and may contain information that
is privileged, proprietary, confidential and exempt from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient or the
person responsible for delivering the material to the
intended recipient, you are notified that dissemination,
distribution or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited.
please contact the sender immediately via e-mail and destroy this message
accordingly.