RE: Tilting at windmills: Doc design vs. lawyers and accountants

Subject: RE: Tilting at windmills: Doc design vs. lawyers and accountants
From: Paul Newbold <paul -dot- newbold -at- lightwork -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 13:54:51 +0100

Yours is not a new refrain Dick - check out the website of the Campaign for
Plain English at http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/law.html for the quote
'In 1936, Fred Rodell, a professor of law at Harvard, argued that there 'are
two things wrong with almost all legal writing. One is its style. The other
is its content. That, I think, about covers the ground.'

The site's more about language than layout but the two are closely related.
There must be a US version of the said campaign, if not you could start one
(I'm assuming that's where you are)!

Paul Newbold
LightWorks Design Ltd
Sheffield UK