FW: Slightly OT but need advice on invented verbs (e.g., to gate)

Subject: FW: Slightly OT but need advice on invented verbs (e.g., to gate)
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 11:23:22 -0400

If "gated" (or "to gate") was invented as a verb,
it wasn't by that engineer. I've seen/heard/read/used
it for years in several contexts, including -- but not
limited to -- transistors and digital logic, telecomms,
learning theory, several biological/biochemical functions,
auto mechanics, hydraulics/fluid-dynamics, optics and some
others I can't think of just now. Essentially, any place
they'd use "gated" as an adjective, they'd also successfully
use it as a verb. I'm sure I saw it in at least one
science article about the equipment some physicists are
using to attack the next level of sub-sub-atomic critters.
Wasn't the term also used in an article on sono-luminescence?

If it says what it means and nobody comes up with
a substitute that's both more familiar and more elegant
or efficient in the context... then go with it.
Just try to gently disabuse the engineer of the notion
that she invented the usage.

/kevin