RE: A TW compliment

Subject: RE: A TW compliment
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 11:06:51 +0100

>In a meeting this morning with some software consultants, I got the
ultimate
>compliment:
>"Karen, you're a black belt in English!"

Nice one! I got a neat backhanded compliment yesterday: my unsmiling manager
queried various frivolous comments in the manual I'm working on. I justified
them by pointing out that the manual was aimed at games designers, who are
not known for reading manuals - I wanted them to be intrigued and interested
by it. He responded, irritably, "The reason most people don't read manuals
is because they're so badly written. That certainly isn't going to be the
problem here." Took me a minute or so to work it out (it wasn't delivered as
a compliment....) but I was dead chuffed!

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Digital Bridges, Scotland
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.