RE: Salary issues ( a twist)

Subject: RE: Salary issues ( a twist)
From: "Richard Smith" <Richard -dot- Smith -at- windriver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 13:53:36 -0700

> To which I can only respond BS. It's nice to think they care, but
> I doubt they do.

I never said they cared about me. They feared about getting someone in at a
pay level which didn't suit the individuals needs. Taking a job at a lower
pay than you can live on means you won't stay long. Employers don't like
that. It has nothing to do with caring for the individual.

> They want to know so they can offer you as low in their scale as
> possible and then justify it to you as "Well, it's
> a good raise from your previous." or "It matches your previous."

You missed the point. They did say what they would offer before they asked
what my history was. The whole this-is-what-we-can-offer-you thing was over
by the time they asked what I made previously. Sure it probably could have
been negotiated further, but the jumping off point and the range had already
been established, by them. It occurs to me that if they wanted to base an
offer on my salary history or needs, they'd have asked for that info first.

Richard Smith