RE: Newbie/tight market question

Subject: RE: Newbie/tight market question
From: Marilynne Smith <marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 14:09:32 -0700

My first technical writing job was at a college for CETA wages (government supported training) of $2.75/hr (min. wage was about $3.50). I took the job on two conditions: I wanted "writer" to be part of the title, and I wanted references when I went out into the world. It was well worth the measly wage. I learned to write to a topic specified by someone else. I learned layout, publishing (xeroxing) and the importance of keeping the little people happy as well as those above me. My proudest achievement, besides the newsletter I'd been hired to do, was bookmarks that advertised library services. I did the newsletter for two semesters. That gave me some "show and tells" and a glimpse into the working world (including people who pay tiny wages and expect big results).

I think the key here is getting experience in technical writing, some writing samples, and some references. To accomplish that would be well worth the wages for a newbie.

Marilynne <who wouldn't even talk to you now for $10/hr, but might if I was a newbie>

At 10:05 AM 7/17/2001 -0600, Dana Worley wrote:

But it seems to me if you have NO tech writing experience, and
you need a way to get experience, that any writing job would be
better than flipping burgers or selling Big Gulps. Lack of experience
seems to be the whole "woe is me" story that keeps popping up on
the list from people trying to break into the TW field. Among the
suggestions for these people has been "write something for free".
For FREE and now you don't want to work for $10/hr? (Not to say
I'd want to work for $10/hr, but I have been working for 22 years,
and I am gainfully employed...).

If it's only a one month contract and you don't have potential
employers beating your door down, what do you have to lose? If
you go to work for 7-11, you'll be able to put down on your resume
that you have experience as a convenience store clerk. Wouldn't
you rather have some WRITING experience?

Dana W.