Re: Documents I'd like to see...

Subject: Re: Documents I'd like to see...
From: Jo Baer <jbaer -at- mailbox1 -dot- tcfbank -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 15:57:09 -0500

Back in the days when Word did not rule the land, our company used WordPerfect.
I subscribed to a great magazine which described new uses for WP and had
corresponding how-tos. The magazine included macros that you could copy (one
particularly powerful one let you build what amounted to a database in WP for
tracking a media library or similar), tips for simplifying tasks, and a whole
lot of other gee-whiz creative stuff that you'd never find in a manual.

One of the main tasks of our department is keeping a mammoth policy and
procedure manual (for a bank) up to date. A few years ago we took this task over
from another group, and totally reorganized and rewrote the manual. In the
process, we found that two things were missing from many of the procedures: why
you would follow a particular procedure, in other words, what you were trying to
accomplish, and what the desired or expected result was. How do I know when I'm
done, and how do I know that I've done this correctly?

Robin asks some good questions, and makes me think about how we write our
manuals, what we are trying to accomplish, and whether we could change our
perspective to deliver a better product to our users.

Food for thought.

Jo