RE: Documents I'd like to see...

Subject: RE: Documents I'd like to see...
From: "Richard Smith" <Richard -dot- Smith -at- windriver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 13:58:35 -0700

I wouldn't say there is a dearth. For example, application servers, and
content management systems, often have examples of what can be done with
them.

I would say there is a breaking point though. You'll see the
what-can-I-do-with-it type of information in newer products. Once a product
hits version 3.0 or later, you are much less likely to see it. By then it's
old news, and people know what they can do with it. Feature tours tend to be
more useful (or at least more common) at that point.

Off the shelf application servers and dynamic content management systems are
newer stuff. I'd say you have to look to newer stuff to see it. More mature
products just aren't like to have it. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess
Dreamweavere 4 doesn't have a chapter dicussing how exciting HTML is and
what sort of things you can do with it. People who buy it probably have an
idea what to do with HTML.

Richard Smith