RE: Documentation security?

Subject: RE: Documentation security?
From: "Swallow, William" <WSwallow -at- courion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 11:25:00 -0400

John wrote:

"I think the second part of this issue is
how do you protect the contents after the
dpocument has been acccessed? We'd all like
to think that every usr is going to treat
the material with the confidentiality it
deserves...however, what is to stop someone
from pasing a copy to someone else if they
want?
"You need a mechanism to track each document
(or at least make the user believe it is being
tracked) so that the person knows that if they
do, wherever it ends up, you know how it got
there and that you can pursue legal avenues."

We also need a mechanism to stop world hunger and bring forth world peace.
*g*

Sorry to trivialize this, but there are only so many hoops you can jump
through before the means begin to fail to justify the ends. As Sean pointed
out, the info this person is intending to secure is hardly proprietary.
Sure, it sucks that someone might swipe it and reuse it, but those are the
breaks with any information out there these days. Did you make sure to
properly secure your copies of your grade-perfect Moby Dick report from High
School so future students couldn't find it and put their name on it to get
out of writing a paper for themselves? (Yes, this did happen to me, several
times.)

If the information is truly sensitive - like top secret operations manuals
or Area 51 design specifications - then you indeed want to secure that
information as tightly as possible. But, in the case of an attractive web
hosting guide, you should provide whatever level of security you can within
the time and budget constraints you have to work with. Someone may steal
your work. It sucks, I know, but if you made an effort to make the
documentation accessible via secure login and provided copyright info as
needed, I think you provided a decent means of protecting your work. You
could always set up a secure connection using content encryption that only
your server can decode if the proper authentication keys exist on the client
machines, but I think you're killing a very small bird with a bombardment of
very expensive boulders.

Just my thoughts.

BILL SWALLOW
Technical Writer