Re: Experience = skill? (was various other threads)

Subject: Re: Experience = skill? (was various other threads)
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 15:55:40 -0700 (PDT)

<Christine -dot- Anameier -at- seagate -dot- com> wrote

> I just reread my post; geez, do I sound cranky!
>
> Just to clarify: I am not feeling hostile toward the folks I quoted. Not
in
> the least. I'm not even feeling grumpy today. This is just an issue
that's
> always bugged me, for reasons that date back to my pre-TW days. And it
was
> such a battle trying to convince recruiters that five years of relevant
> non-TW experience plus zero years of TW experience did not mean
"clueless
> novice."

No of course it doesn't. But you know how HR people think - if you don't
fit into a nice little bucket they have established, you're a loser and
they don't want you. You just have to play their little dumb game and get
past the gatekeepers.

I also whole-heartedly agree with you about the experience issue. There
are plenty of writers with 5+ years experience who are completely
incompetent. Just because somebody has been around longer, doesn't mean
they actually learned anything.

Honestly, I have had better luck hiring and training novices who are
motivated. But I run a somewhat different tech writing organization.

Andrew Plato

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/