Re: Spelling out, was Acronyms

Subject: Re: Spelling out, was Acronyms
From: Jerry Blackerby <jerryblackerby -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 14:57:27 -0500

Dick Margulis wrote:

> Speaking as someone who DOES remember what ASCII stands for (not to mention Binary Coded Decimal (BCD) and Extended Binary Coded Decimal Interchange Code (EBCDIC), who also knows that COmmon Business Oriented Language (COBOL) was developed by the COmmittee for DAta SYstem Languages (CODASYL), who learned Symbolic Processing System (SPS), FORmula TRANslation (FORTRAN), and ALgebra Oriented Language (ALGOL) before most list members were born, I gotta say I'm on your side on this one. ;-)

As several have said, there are many common abbreviations and Acronyms used today that I do not think need to be spelled out because the spelling out does nothing to aid the understanding of the term. BTW, there were the programming languages, APL (A Programming Language) and PL1 (Program Language 1) that no amount of spelling out would help someone understand what was meant. The Acronym or abbreviation was adequate, IMO.

I do remember BCD and EBCDIC.

Jerry Blackerby