availability and options for document control systems?

Subject: availability and options for document control systems?
From: "Cummings, Elizabeth" <CummEl -at- ncs -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 14:23:13 -0500

Hi, All. Just received a request from my manager to look into "the
availability and options for document control systems". This was in
response to a higher up's request, part of which is excerpted below:

"A document control system that could interface with the Web would be very
useful as we create more documents for projects and publish more information
about procedures and measures. We need the functionality of a Panagon
without its pain of setup and cost.

. . . the research would determine whether we go with some other document
control system or use a content management system like TeamSite."

I need to pass info along before the end of the month, in time for budgeting
talks the first week in August. I (think) I understand the concept of
content management, but this is a bit over my head (I did read about Panagon
on whatis.com, but that's about as far as I've gotten.). Anyone who would
care to school me and/or give me some ideas/information to pass along to the
powers that be, I would be most grateful!

--Elizabeth Cummings