RE: The action of creating a JAR file

Subject: RE: The action of creating a JAR file
From: "Richard Smith" <Richard -dot- Smith -at- windriver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 11:06:22 -0700

Unless you are using JIT,Ahead of time, or some dynamic adaptive compiling
scheme, it is a bit redundant to say compiling into class files. Compiling
by itself should do fine. Also, Java has a fairly strict hierarchy and
naming scheme. It may affect what you need to say.

I'd say the best way to say it is:
"The Java files comprising your COFFEE service must be compiled, and
archived into a JAR file."
or
"Compile, then JAR the COFFEE service files.

I'm pretty sure that Java developers should understand that.

I'd avoid using the verb package. It could lead to confusion given that the
COFFEE service files will probably be part of a specific Java package.

Richard Smith