The action of creating a JAR file?

Subject: The action of creating a JAR file?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 13:24:31 -0400

Jane Carnall wonders: <<Does anyone know of a good verb for the process of
taking a set of files and creating a new JAR file that consists of nothing
but those files? What I have is: "The Java files comprising your COFFEE
service must be compiled into class files, and should be imported into a JAR
file.">>

Rather than imported, I'd say "added to" a JAR file; I see no need to coin a
new word if none already exists. On the other hand, you could certainly say
"jarred" if that's appropriate jargon for the audience, something I can't
comment upon. I life in a largely decaff world these days, so my Java
experience is sadly limited.

<<The corresponding verb for a JAR file should be "jarred", yet that sounds
wrong.>>

It jars the ear, does it? <gdr> Yet it nonetheless seems well formed, and
follows the broadly accepted examples of "zipped" in the Windows world and
"stuffed" in the Mac world. And I imagine UNIX folk periodically TAR and
feather their files, no matter how fowl that may sound.

<<Anyone got a good verb I could borrow? I have some nice fresh adverbs,
only one careful driver, good resale value... <g>

If the driver is Mac-compatible, I'll loan you "to be"; whether 'tis a
nobler verb with which to suffer the slings and arrows of outraged editors,
I leave to posterity to determine.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"Some painters transform the sun into a yellow spot; others transform a
yellow spot into the sun."- -Pablo Picasso (1881-1973)