Re: ... what makes a resume stand out?

Subject: Re: ... what makes a resume stand out?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 13:46:46 -0700

kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com wrote:

Here's an example, from a friend's resume:

Objective:
To secure a position with a growth-oriented firm where I can use my skills
as a developer and systems architect, while continually increasing my
leadership and management skills to better enhance the company's product.

I dunno...

I probably don't think very much like an HR person, but, with all respect, this example doesn't do much for me. All it really tells me is that your friend is a developer who might like to move into management. I know that he's a developer from the job he's applied for, and, given the speed with which many companies come and go, his future plans
probably aren't as important as his present usefulness. For that matter, some companies don't want someone with ambitions; they want someone who will be content with the position they've appllied for.

Anotherproblem with this statement, or any other Objective statement that I've seen is that it's long and full of buzzwords. Although the buzzwords might be useful if a keyword search is done on the resumes, neither characteristic encourages close reading by anybody. And, since the Objective is at the start of the resume, that might mean that the resume isn't read,or isn't read carefully.

My personal preference is to start with a Profiles or Summary section. That puts the information that the resume sorter wants at the top and tells them whether they want to read more.

It's also a way to get companies to ignore the infamous 2-page rule, but that's another story.

"What you don't ponder in your life
You'll ponder when you're dead."
- The Mollys, "Yer Drunk Again/Polka del Diablo"