another newbie/tight market question

Subject: another newbie/tight market question
From: "Betsy Boyd" <bets15 -at- prodigy -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 15:07:52 -0400

Hello all. Thanks for the advice about portfolios last month. My blanket
approach to the job hunt has won me an interview for a "very junior"
position as a tech writer. Here's the catch: it starts as a one-month
contract for $10/hr. Needless to say, this is less than I was hoping to
make, but the possibility exists that this really IS a foot-in-the door
opportunity that will be worth a great deal in experience, and the
recruiter has assured me that when the contract is up, they'll keep me
if they like me, and she'll do her best to ensure that I get more money
at that time. The question is, of course, how much more?

SO, I have 2 questions: 1) When I go to the interview, what warning signs
should I be looking for/questions should I ask to ensure that they aren't
looking for a glorified admin. assistant and plan to take some unsuspecting
newbie for a ride? I've worked for a slave-driving underpaying startup
boss before, and I don't relish doing it again.

2) At what point would it be appropriate (i.e., before the interview or
after
the offer or at the end of the contract, assuming I get the job) to make it
clear that I'd need about a 50% raise (at least) to keep me interested in
working for them beyond that first month?

Betsy Boyd