RE: Spelling out, was Acronyms

Subject: RE: Spelling out, was Acronyms
From: Kim Roper <kim -dot- roper -at- vitana -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 11:54:04 -0400

Anne Robotti wrote:

> Tom, I respectfully disagree.
>
> Many people, me included, might not have known what ASCII
> stands for, but
> I certainly know what it is and how to use it and what the
> implications
> are of text being in ASCII rather than formatted. And I don't
> think that
> my knowledge base was greatly broadened by knowing what the
> letters stand
> for, in fact I've already forgotten. I think if the acronym helps to
> explain the concept, then it's okay to define it. If it adds
> nothing to
> the discussion, leave it out.

I agree with Anne. Our products have RCA jacks, BNC connectors, RS-232
ports ... spelling these things out adds very little value to the
documentation (and, as with TWAIN, there is some debate about the
spelling-out of BNC). Now, describing the hardware, what it does and what
it's compatible with, that's another matter. For example, knowing that RCA
and BNC can be used for the same kind of video data twigs the user to get
the right cable rather than stressing about signal compatibility.

Cheers ... Kim
mailto:kim -dot- roper -at- vitana -dot- com

bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
-- Rich Cook