Nested tab page nomenclature?

Subject: Nested tab page nomenclature?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 13:53:40 -0400

Larry Sherman is writing a user manual in which <<... the forms designer has
used tab pages to place the fields on the form. The tab pages are nested, in
that a second row of related tabs appear when certain tab pages have the
focus... for example, I'm working on this construction: ... The Airway, SID
and STAR nested tabs appear... The user representative likes "nested", and
some members of the development team like "sub-tabs", but I'm inclined to
avoid either and
simply say, "The Airway, SID and STAR tabs appear".>>

My preference is for your approach, both since "nested" is a geek term that
may be unfamiliar to many readers and since the user's context should make
this relationship (the nesting) clear enough that there's no need to make it
explicit. But--and it's a biggie--if you actually have representatives of
the user community who like the term, and who find it helpful, that's a
strong clue that you should stick with "nested". We need to remember to
support the user's beneficial preferences, not our own prejudices.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"In seeking wisdom, the first step is silence, the second listening, the
third remembering, the fourth practicing, the fifth -- teaching
others."--Ibn Gabirol, poet and philosopher (c. 1022-1058)