Re: On the fence

Subject: Re: On the fence
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 11:04:43 -0700

Jason Willebeek-LeMair wrote:

Traditionally, academic and professional journals were places where
researchers published their findings or theories, hoping to get acceptance
or notoriety in their fields. The papers were published with no compensation
to the author, aside from holding up possible discoveries or new twists on
old information to a group of peers

Academics don't get paid for journal publications because they are paid primarily for research (which is why those who only teach are usually not on tenure track). Also, their publications affect their promotions and salary increases.

Some writers in STC publications are academics these days. For these writers, STC publications might have some prestige, but not necessarily. Most academics -at least, locally- whose work touches on technical writing haven't heard of the STC any more than employers have.

However, freelance contributors are in a very different situation. For them, publication isn't an intrinsic reward. I don't agree with Samuel Johnson's comment that "only a blockhead ever wrote for anything except money," but I can understand why he might say it. If you're a freelancer, you never have any shortage of requests that you write for free. These days, with all the journalistic web sites, the requests are more frequent than ever. If you agree to all of them, you'll never have time to make a living.

As a freelancer, I have to ask: what would the advantage be of writing for the STC magazines? The only possible advantage I can see is some recognition within the STC. Since I have no interest in pursuing a career within the STC or in becoming one of its self-appointed "leaders," there's no reason I would write for the organization's magazines.

I would far rather write for free for magazines or web sites within my field. And, in fact, I am currently trying to set up a free software writing project. Volunteering for such things is a way of paying dues and returning favors. And, so far as I think about my career (which isn't much, I admit), I am far more likely to receive prestige or reciprocal professional favors by these means than by writing for the STC.

"What you don't ponder in your life
You'll ponder when you're dead."
- The Mollys, "Yer Drunk Again/Polka del Diablo"