Re: Reality Check

Subject: Re: Reality Check
From: "Kelly Williamson" <kwcwtech -at- iwaynet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 13:51:22 -0400

Cayenne wrote:
> I just made a stink 'cos I heard someone wanted to change the name,
> path and reference to yet another internal piece in one software. It
> happened to be the one I'd just - finally - spent an hour + trying to
> create in paintshop, since it's not _really_ finished.
> I'm now being treated as the heavy, cos I've said we can't change
> anything else.This is so far beyond absurd - I've just now got 1 of 4
> Help systems mostly done
> - but I need to hear it from someone else.

I can relate. I would also advise that, if no one else is doing it, you step
up and be the "heavy" if need be. We had a somewhat similar situation
recently....numerous last minute changes and lots of requirements that just
kept expanding and not being "tamed". It ended up getting us in a heap of
trouble. I knew there was a problem when I, as the tech writer, was having
to tell the client, sorry we just can't do that--it's beyond the scope
(which I normally wouldn't see as a TW function). This was when we were
still allowed to talk to the client--the project got so far behind and out
of control that they started letting only one person talk to the client
(unfortunately, they picked the wrong person, and she let things get
*really* got out of control--it was always "the client wants it this way so
that's what we have to do" when all of use were saying "waaaaiiiitttt a
minute--that's not in the scope".)

To make a long story short, the project was considered a complete failure by
upper management (of course, the five WebHelp systems and five printed
manuals were fabulous <g>) and two of the six of us got fired (woops, I mean
laid off). The company even considered completely getting rid of internal
projects altogether because things had spun so far out of control (which
would mean I would probably be laid off too).
The moral of the story is that your project manager/manager/whatever should
be the one putting the reins on. If they're not, someone has got to do it or
the project could get out of control--and then, if your company cares about
profitability, you might all be looking for a job!
See you,
Kelly