RE: reality check

Subject: RE: reality check
From: "Keith Soltys" <keith -at- soltys -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 13:24:25 -0400

> Hi all
>
> I'm now being treated as the heavy, cos I've said we can't change
> anything else.
> This is so far beyond absurd - I've just now got 1 of 4 Help
> systems mostly done
> - but I need to hear it from someone else.
>
> anyone?
> cheers
> Cayenne

Other posters have given you some good advice - you have to make sure they
understand the impact the changes will have on your docs and schedule.

You can make life easier for yourself, and reduce the amount of work you
have to do should this situation arise again (and it will, no doubt), by
making sure that you use variables for all of your product names (assuming
you are using FrameMaker) or autotext entries if you are using Word.

This happened to me recently. During some slack time not long before that,
I'd had our writers go through our books and make sure that we were using
variables for all of the product names. When the word of the change came
down, we were able to make the changes in a matter of hours for a whole
library of documents. And then do it again, a couple of weeks later when
they changed their minds again (grin).

That won't help with screen shots of course, but it certainly will reduce
the overall amount of work. And it has the added benefit that you won't have
embarrassing typos in your product names.

Best
Keith

--
Keith Soltys