RE: ATM Driveup with Braille Followup

Subject: RE: ATM Driveup with Braille Followup
From: "John Fleming" <johnf -at- ecn -dot- ab -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 18:39:42 -0600

> Subject: RE: ATM Driveup with Braille Followup
> From: Marilynne Smith <marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com>
> Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 15:00:28 -0700

> Isn't the big question, why are there braille instructions on drive
up
> ATMs? Are the blind driving?

The way some people drive, you'd think they were blind.

On another angle on this one, I got a real kick out of one banking
location here in Edmonton where the drive through ATM had Braille on
the keys, and the walk up ones inside the branch didn't.

It does suggest to me that someone wasn't really thinking too much
about the audience, or how the equipment in question was likely to be
used

Now, unless you know someone who is blind, or have visual impairment
yourself, it is hard to put yourself in the shoes of someone who is
blind. And so we make mistakes.

It's really a question of understanding the audience.

--

John Fleming
Technical Writer