RE: Pronouns with User

Subject: RE: Pronouns with User
From: "David Berg" <dberg -at- dmpnet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 11:14:50 -0500

> I am having a debate with a co-worker (also a technical writer)
> about which
> pronoun to use when "user" as the antecendent and the gender is
> unknown. He
> always uses a plural pronoun.
>
> For example:
>
> "If the user is ...then customize their session."
>
> I think this is technically incorrect but I am seeing it more and
> more. My
> solution would be:
>
> "If the user is ...then customize the session."
>
> or
>
> "If the user is ...then customize his/her session."

In my opinion, your first example ("the solution") is probably the best
answer. I've seen the plural pronoun used, I've even used it myself, but
usually not in documentation. I only use it when I would otherwise have to
make repeated references to "his/her"-type statements, which I think gets a
little too awkward after while.

I've often wished that the English language would adapt to this particular
bit of political correctness (and I don't mean to imply anything negative by
that term!). I kept my eye open for a solution in other languages for some
time until another member of this list provided an answer in private
correspondence. In Cebuano, a Filipino dialect, "siya" is a singular that is
gender neutral in place of he or she. "Iya" is a singular possessive. "Sila"
is plural and gender neutral, and "ila" is plural possessive.

So, I double-dare you to use those terms in your documentation!

BTW, if anyone knows of another language that offers similar gender neutral
terms I would be very interested to hear about them. Out of respect to Eric,
off-list please. I'll pass along the answers to anyone that's interested.

David Berg