RE: Modular Documents with Word (Yuch!)

Subject: RE: Modular Documents with Word (Yuch!)
From: Christine -dot- Anameier -at- seagate -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 10:51:49 -0500

I think I just figured this out... Try this:

Insert | File...
Browse to select the smaller file
Select "Link to file."
Click OK.

This should insert the smaller file. If you revise and change the smaller
file, you'll need to refresh the link in the larger doc to see the changes:
select the text (or select all, to do the whole doc) and press F9.

If you need to change the location of the smaller documents, you'll need to
update the links. David M. Brown posted a useful trick for doing this
without updating them one-by-one: I'll reproduce it here for posterity, in
case somebody searches the archives someday and finds this post. His
instructions refer to linked images, but I believe this also works for
linked Word files.

<David's great tip>
If you inherit a book where the links point to a directory that you don't
have on your computer (like d:\joesStuff\bigProject\images) it's easy to
fix:

1. Copy the graphics to a directory you *do* have, such as
c:\docs\bigProject\graphics.

2. Open the document in Word, and press Alt+F9 to show field codes.

3. From the Edit menu, choose Replace, and change all instances of
this:

d:\\joesStuff\\bigProject\\images\\

to this:

c:\\docs\\bigProject\\graphics\\

Important: Be sure to use the double backslashes as shown. It's
just the way you have to specify paths in Word field codes--they
won't work if you use single backslashes.

4. When you finish, press Ctrl+A to select the entire document, and
then press F9 to update fields.
</tip>

HTH,
Christine