RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: Philip Sharman <psharman -at- verity -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 09:22:15 -0600

Lack of customer contact -- that's one of my pet peeves. I've seldom worked
at companies where I've ever met any of our customers.

I think there are several reasons:
- Many companies sell to customers who are located all over the world, and
sending writers to visit them is too expensive. Unless the customers come in
for training, then marketing and sales folks are the only people who ever
meet them.
- Most companies do not consider it important that writers contact
customers, so unless the writers really fight for it, it doesn't happen.
- Some companies actively try to keep anyone but "approved" contacts (which
certainly doesn't include lowly writers) from contacting customers. I'm not
sure what the fear is, but it is real concern in some organizations.

In lieu of customers, we make do with Marketing folks and lurid
imaginations.

Philip.