Re: On the fence

Subject: Re: On the fence
From: Glen Warner <gdwarner -at- ricochet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 02:04:59 -0700

"Gilger.John" <JGilger -at- acresgaming -dot- com> wrote:

(*snip*)

> Don't let your ego get in the way of your principles. There is no reason
> to write for free, no matter which publication. If you take your article
> an byline into a coffee shop, it will still be a dollar short of the
> price for a cup of coffee.

I can't help but think that this is the wrong way to look at this.

Tim appears to have the chance to write for a magazine distributed around
the world (more or less). While the pay is less than great, if he
researches his topic thoroughly, he may generate enough background
material to write a couple more articles -- and submit these to
publications that pay.

It's also quite possible that these paying publications would not look
twice at Tim had he *not* written that article with which he couldn't buy
a cup of coffee.

Also, if he sells the proper rights, he may be able to resell his
original article to the aforementioned paying publications.

So, instead of getting a simple cup of coffee for his article that he
wrote for free, he would get paid three times: once for the resale of
his original article, and again for both of the articles he wrote based on
the same research.

He may even be able to update these articles in a couple years, and sell
them yet again.

> My two cents...

... and my $.005 cents.

--gdw

> John Gilger
> Senior Technical Writer
> Acres Gaming, Inc.

"I don't need to have directed a film to know a movie sucks. I don't need
have had a top 40 hit song to know a CD sucks. And I don't have to be a
programmer to know an application sucks."
--From a post on a Mac CNN forum