RE: System downtime; WAS: Re: Understanding Programming & Code

Subject: RE: System downtime; WAS: Re: Understanding Programming & Code
From: Lief Erickson <lerickson -at- mqsoftware -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 13:48:29 -0500

John Posada wonders...

<<If you are a contractor, and maybe if you are a FT, and the
server/network/etc, that you MUST work on, is down, due to no fault of your
own...how do you handle it?

Do you go home and if a contractor, stop drawing your pay for the day or do
you sit at your desk and play games, read emails, surf the web?>>

Face time is important at this company, so leaving is not really an option
even if you were able to be more productive at home (or the beach or ski
hill).

Play games? I've this particular OS installed for seven months and just now
found that I have Pinball installed! I hadn't even bothered to see what
games were installed. Although, you can sometimes find me playing a game of
chess on the internet during down times.

The other thing that I do when a server is down is attempt to catch up on
the paper filing (read: purging) and the backlog of Technical
Communications, Intercoms, and other magazines stacking up on my desk. I
find it rather satisfying to come to work and find relatively clean desk --
well, organized at least.

-Lief Erickson
Lead Technical Writer
MQSoftware, Inc