TOOLS: Word 2000, menus and toolbars missing?

Subject: TOOLS: Word 2000, menus and toolbars missing?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:43:22 -0400

Kathy Frost reports: <<Recently my PC hiccupped. I wasn't even touching the
mouse but it was as if I had clicked a dozen times, menus and applications
opened and closed, changed size...weird. When I tried to change back to Word
2000, it had only the title bar across the top and the status bar at the
bottom. The menus were gone along with the toolbars.>>

If that (the opening and closing menus) happened before your eyes, as you
watched in horror, it sounds like you got hit by some type of virus, and
you'll have to figure out how to remove the virus before you can reinstall
the software. Yuck. If you mean that this happened between blinks of your
weary eyes, with no visual special effects, it's possible that you
inadvertently selected "Full screen" under the View menu (there may be a
keyboard shortcut for this that you accidentally triggered; Word's annoying
that way); hit the ESC key to restore the regular menus.

The only other way that I'm aware of to achieve the effect you mention is to
open the Tools menu and choose Customize. (There's undoubtedly a shortcut
keystroke for that too, but it's not listed in the menu itself.) When you
choose Customize, Word lets you add, delete, and edit the menus and
toolbars; regrettably, there's a keystroke I've forgotten that selects this
mode (Control plus -?), and in short order, you can delete all your menus
and toolbars if you don't happen to notice that the cursor has changed (to a
"-" sign, I believe) and the menus keep getting shorter as you use them. But
I don't think that's the case here, since it would take a fair bit of
diligent effort to get rid of _all_ those menus and toolbars--though a virus
could do that for you in short order. Try right-clicking near the top of the
window to see if you get a toolbar menu to pop up; if so, you can at least
reinstall your toolbars.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is
by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause
accidents."-- Nathaniel Borenstein