Re: On the fence

Subject: Re: On the fence
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:44:13 -0700

Timothy Huckabee wrote:

> I have recently been asked to pen an article for "Technical
> Communication", the Journal of the society for Technical Communication.
> This, I have been informed, will be a volunteer effort on my part
> without remuneration. On one hand, it is an opportunity to get published
> in TC...on the other, I feel strongly about writing for free. This
> particular piece would constitute a fair amount of time and effort to
> complete. Suggestions?

I think that the answer partly depends on where you are in your
journalistic career. If you don't have many publication credits, then TC
might be a nice one to have - sort of the equivalent of being published
in a well-known university or small press poetry magazine.

On the other hand, if you sell articles regularly, then there's not much
point. I don't know about you, but I've published in prestige small
press magazines, and professional magazines. After the first half dozen
sales, the cheque is far more exciting than the mere face of being
published. Of course, I still take a somewhat furtive pleasure in
re-reading any of my published articles (and checking for typos!), but
the money is a sign that someone takes me seriously - and, of course,
the fact that I'm asked to write more.

As for the alleged prestige in small press publication, I think that's
vastly over-rated. I've published in them since I was sixteen. I never
did get much good out of them, although I used to add each one dutifully
to my resume. By contrast, after a year of steady publication in one
professional magazine, I'm now being asked to submit to other ones. So
far as I'm concerned, that's real prestige and recognition.

Another point: the STC seems to make a habit of asking for free donation
of services from professionals. I suppose you can't expect anything else
from a so-called professional association that mixes writers and
manager, but why be party to it?

"I breathe too heavy and I blow too hard
And I stay when I should run
But I won't settle for anything less
'Till I've seen what your love has done."
-The Mollys, "Look What Your Love Has Done"