Re: On the fence

Subject: Re: On the fence
From: "Lurker writer" <lurker_writer -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:29:53 -0500

Tim:

Been there, almost done that. If you look at some of the Technical Communication article statistics, you'll see there's often quite a lag time between when the manuscript was submitted and when it was accepted for publication. The peer reviewer comments can be extensive, often requiring the author to completely rethink (and rewrite) the manuscript. The overall tone of TC is academic, and while there are topic-specific issues that provide a wealth of information, the time you invest in an article for TC might not justify any "reward" unless you're doing it for the simple pleasure of sharing your knowledge.

But as a part-time freelance writer myself, I too have to pick and choose my markets and determine which ones provide me with the best payback. If you're looking to get published in the TC community, try the TECHWR_L website...it's one of the few if not the only paying TC markets. I get a lot of mileage from articles I write for InterCom (the other STC magazine, where I use my real name). Writing for InterCom has opened up many speaking (paid!) opportunities for me as well...

George Hayhoe and staff do a fabulous job with Technical Communication (it is an award-winning publication) and the peer reviewers are tough, but they have a high standard to uphold. I guess the decision to publish in Technical Communication depends on your willingness to devote the time and effort to be published in a peer-reviewed journal.