Re: Rule about not using possessive? (Take III, and out)

Subject: Re: Rule about not using possessive? (Take III, and out)
From: "Richard G. Combs" <richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 10:36:00 -0600

wrote, in part:

<snip> I don't pretend that grammar is akin to the laws of nature; rather,
it
> reflects the principles that underlie prevailing usage. </snip>

I'd go further and say that at least some of the rules of grammar *are* laws
of nature; when you violate them, you contradict reality. In fact, that's
*why* violating them obscures meaning.

Take, for instance, the matter of subject-verb number agreement. Saying "She
are..." or "They is..." doesn't just ignore an arbitrary preference of the
bourgeousie. It rejects Aristotle's law of identity; the subject of your
communication cannot be *both* an individual and a group at the same time.

[Note: Please don't bring up side issues such as the British convention of
using a plural verb when the subject is a company or corporation. These
involve the boundary issue of when a subject changes from singular to
plural, or vice versa. It doesn't change the principle; once you decide that
a subject *is* singular, you cannot logically treat it as *simultaneously*
plural.]

Now, mind you, I can imagine the language evolving to the point where we no
longer distinguish between singular and plural verb forms. However, _until
that happens_, subject-verb agreement is *not* just a matter of style and is
*not* subject to majority vote.

"It's my opinion and it's very true."
Richard

------
Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Voyant Technologies, Inc.
richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com
303-223-5111
------
rgcombs -at- free-market -dot- net
303-777-0436