Re: Excel Conversion Question

Subject: Re: Excel Conversion Question
From: Chris Despopoulos <cud -at- telecable -dot- es>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 13:18:57 +0200

My experience with Excel is far from inbred... But I can offer a few tips that should apply to any spreadsheet.

First, I would look in the spreadsheet for anything that can be construed as a paragraph break. For each one of these, I would type some special string... <pgfBreak> for example. Put that at the END of the prospective paragraph.

I would consider doing the same for page breaks, but that may not be reasonable. I would also use some indicator to show where in the text each graphic should be.

Finally, you should consider using a similar scheme to identify paragraph and character formatting.

Above all, I would write down the exact strings I used for each of these tags.

Finally, after coding in all the information I could, I would then export the spreadsheet as text, and open the text file in Maker. If each cell comes in as a separate paragraph, you will have to do a search/replace nothing to remove all paragraph chars.

Then, use search/replace to find your special tags, and do whatever is appropriate. For example, for each paragraph code, search and replace code/paragraph char for all in document. For the paragraph formatting, you can copy the desired pgf format to the clipboard, then do a search/replace by paste for all in document. Then do search/replace nothing to delete all these codes.

For the graphics, you would have to search for the codes individually, and manually place the graphics in the Maker document. But given all the changes you made so far, I hope you can see how these codes would come in handy.

This is what I would try, anyway. I hope this helps.

Cheers cud