Re: Riddle Me This

Subject: Re: Riddle Me This
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 14:34:29 -0400

Bruce Byfield wrote:

> Peter wrote:
> >
> > Bruce Byfield wrote:
> >

> > > And, if you're a lone writer, there's probably not much point in getting
> > > too worried about style books anyway - just be consistent in your usage.
> > > The value of a style book comes in team projects, or with documentation
> > > that you plan to hand off to someone else.
> > >
> > tRUE, [Unless You Have Want to Use Your Work In Your portfolio.] :-)
> >

> You mean, unless you want to use the style guide in your portfolio? I
> never really thought of including style guides in my portfolio, although
> I suppose that for jobs in which editing was a requirement they might be
> useful.

Actually I meant that if a writer makes up their own style, a portfolio
reviewer might mistake the style for lick of ability to be a team
player. For example, in VB it is customary to follow generally
recognized naming conventions for objects. txtBox, lstBox, frmAbout,
mnuItem, etc. Failure to follow the conventions will have absolutely no
effect on the operation on the program, but will affect a subsequent
code review and if shown as an example will leave a negative impression
of the coder.

--
Peter
Mailto:peternew -at- optonline -dot- net

Adapting old programs to fit new machines
usually means adapting new machines to
behave like old ones.