Re: Reviewer feedback

Subject: Re: Reviewer feedback
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 13:20:29 -0700

Kathryn Scoffield wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I write a small column on techwriting for a local pub. This month's column
> will approach the topic of how NOT to personalize reviewers' feedback, even
> when it's delivered in an insensitive manner. The main focus of the piece
> will be that the users come first. If the reviewer's feedback will help the
> users, that's all that matters. So...does anyone have any suggestions on
> this matter? If you'd like, I'll immortalize you in the piece (send your
> name and job title). If you want to remain anonymous, that's okay too.

By "personalize," I take that you mean "take comments personally"?

If so, that's largely a matter of developing a thick skin through
experience. But it helps to realize that you'll never satisfy everyone
and that, in the end, you have to be the judge of what's relevant. The
unfortunate fact is that some people take reviewing as a chance to vent
frustration, either about you or the world at large. Others see it as a
chance to assert their place in the hierarchy. Still others seem to feel
that, unless they criticize severely, they won't be perceived as doing
their jobs properly.

However, you can keep your hypertension under control if you educate
reviewers to give you useful feedback. Accompany a review document with
a brief cover letter or guide that has samples of useful comments. One
of the main goals is to have reviewers not only point out errors, but
suggest corrections. For example, if they find that a passage is
technically incorrect, get them to write the correct information in the
margin. If they find a passage is unclear, encourage them to suggest
proper wording. If you can get reviewers to respond in these ways, then
they'll be more focused on suggesting improvements, and, just possibly,
have more understanding of what writing is about.

"Down at the river one day waits the ghost
Turning into the people that we hide from the most."
-Rev Hammer, "Drunkard's Waltz"