Re: Portfolio For a New Tech Writer?

Subject: Re: Portfolio For a New Tech Writer?
From: Tothscribe -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 10:38:11 EDT

Eric will probably bust me if I just send a link to the article I wrote for Writer's Block about this. So the short and dirty version:

>I'm looking for a source (on-line or otherwise) for
>technical writing (software) projects that will allow
>me to show a prospective employer that I'm capable of
>assimilating and presenting complex information.

You already have what you need - you have the programs on your own computer. Write technical briefs on how to accomplish certain tasks with the software you have. (One of my portfolio pieces is "How to do Outline Numbering in MS Word"- it explains why the outline numbering feature is wonked and how to fix it by using sequential fields. Very popular.)

If you still want more, hie thee to the shareware site of thy choice and start downloading like a madman. Talk about your software without documentation! Pick something that ties in with your field of choice, then give it a software manual. If you want to show off, also give it a review compared to the other programs that do similar functions, and wrap up with a business proposal explaining which program would be best for the business' needs.

Nea Dodson