Re: Shareware

Subject: Re: Shareware
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 09:31:23 -0400

On 07/02/2001 5:18 AM, Jane Carnall (jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com)
wrote:

>Mostly, the shareware I've
>used has been as reliable (if not more so) than commercial software. Are
>there any other issues that I should be aware of before suggesting that our
>customers use shareware? Should I e-mail HSS and ask them for
>trademark/copyright information?

I don't see why recommending shareware should be any different from
recommending a commercial package. Software is software... only the
payment method varies, although that line is blurring as well. (You can
download a "trial version" of many commercial products that can be
converted to non-trial versions with a payment... compare that to
"nagware" or expiring shareware products, and there's precious little
difference between them.)

As for trademark/copyright, they have it posted just as most software
publishers do... see <http://www.textpad.com/copyright.html> for the
details.

However, with any software recommendation I'd suggest including a couple
of others as well, if they solve the problem as well as TextPad does.
Although TextPad is my Windows text-editor-of-choice, the software market
is constantly changing, so diversity is safest... SlickEdit is a very
good code editor for Windows and Linux, BBEdit is #1 on the Mac OS
platforms (if it's not a Windows-only product), and there are many
others...

Hope this helps,
----->Mike

stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com -- AOL and AOL Instant Messenger:MStockman