Shareware

Subject: Shareware
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 10:18:43 +0100

Along with the documentation, we are providing four code templates. These
templates *can* be read in Notepad, but they're most easily readable in
TextPad, a shareware text editor produced by another company with whom we
have no connection other than that we use their product. I considered
editing them again to render them easily readable in Notepad, but they're so
easily readable in TextPad that I'd like to recommend users download that.

The form of words I came up with was:

//We suggest using the shareware text editor TextPad to read and edit this
template.
//The TextPad editor is available from www.textpad.com.
//TextPad is the property of Helios Software Solutions.

Naturally, I'm going to run this past TPTB at my company before this goes
out, but I'd also appreciate input from the list. Mostly, the shareware I've
used has been as reliable (if not more so) than commercial software. Are
there any other issues that I should be aware of before suggesting that our
customers use shareware? Should I e-mail HSS and ask them for
trademark/copyright information?

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Digital Bridges, Scotland
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.