Re: Portfolio For a New Tech Writer?

Subject: Re: Portfolio For a New Tech Writer?
From: Glen Warner <gdwarner -at- ricochet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 16:00:50 -0700

> Glen Warner wrote:
>
>> This particular binder has plastic covered sheets, sealed on the
bottom. I
>> use it for printouts of my Word, FrameMaker, and Nisus Writer
>> documents, projects from class, articles I've written and
published, etc.

> You organize your portfolio by tools?

No, not exactly. The order is actually chronological. The tools
mentioned just happen to be what I used to write the documents. Nisus
Writer I use for stuff I do at home ... though since I've got Office
2001, I've pretty much switched to Word 2001 completely.

> If so, do you find this a useful organizing principal? Are
interviewers
> interested in seeing what you've done with a particular tool?

Mostly, the interviewers just want to see that I've actually written
*something* --! Interestingly, the last interview I was on, they
didn't ask to see my portfolio ... but I was interviewing for a
permanent position at the last place I temped, and I suspect my boss
may have passed on the last template I worked on (a form with a few
drop-down menus and lotsa VBA code), as well as its FM equivalent
(without any code, alas).

> The reason I'm asking is that I haven't heard of anyone else
organizing
> the material this way.
>
> I used to organize by project, with my most recent work at the front
of
> the portfolio. That was low maintenance, but I realized recently
that it
> wasn't the most useful way to showcase my experience. I have since
> reorganized into different categories (for example, manuals,
marketing
> material, news releases, ad campaigns, and the ever-popular misc.). I
> haven't had the chance to try the new arrangement out yet, but I hope
> that it will help interviewers focus on what they're interested in,
and
> make talking about the work easier.
>
> Anybody else organize their portfolio any other way?

The URL for the About.com forums I mentioned previously suggests just
taking what's necessary to get the job ... that is, if the job calls
for manuals written in Word, bring samples of those. RoboHelp?
Bring screenshots.

Of course, when you're new at this, as I am (more or less), you just
bring everything! :o)

Of course ... unless it's one of those 'multi-media' jobs, leave your
unsold TV scripts at home!

--gdw

> --
> Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com

"We utilized a copper-based circular binary random number generator to
determine which chip would best suit our needs."
-- 'Chose-a-vendor-by-flipping-a-penny'Bert