Re: Non-computer TW (Was: Losing my profession?)

Subject: Re: Non-computer TW (Was: Losing my profession?)
From: "Lisa Bronson" <Lisa -dot- Bronson -at- ipaper -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 09:16:08 -0500

Hi there,

C. Crowley asked: I have done non-computer writing in the past (aerospace)
and would like to
do more of it--not aerospace though. Anyone on this list who is documenting
non-computer stuff (science, industrial equipment, whatever)--how'd you get
into that? What are the qualifications? How did you find your job?

I am a technical writer in manufacturing. This is my third technical
writing job in my almost 5-year career. I have had 2 permanent positions
and one contract position. Both times I changed jobs, I did so of my own
accord. The first time was for a 50% (!!) pay increase. The second time
was partly because I didn't enjoy it as much (telecom), and also because,
as a single mother of three, I was a little frightened by the possibility
of not having a job after my contract ended, so I moved back to permanent
status.

The first company I worked for manufactures SMD taping devices for the
semiconductor industry. Fascinating machines! They take a tape that looks
like movie projector film but with embossed pockets, put in parts, and seal
them with cover tape.

The company I work for now manufatures liquid packaging machines. Remember
back to your grade school days, when you got a morning milk break. Our
machines fill and seal cardboard cartons (in all sizes, not just the little
school-size) of milk, juice, fabric softener, etc. These machines are
extremely complex, and I think they are fun to watch in action (yeah, I'm a
geek.... lol).

Both of these jobs are far from the software industry. There is a
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/archives/0105/techwhirl-0105-00110.html
which gives more detail about how I got the jobs, so I won't repeat all of
that here. But, I want to emphasize that I got at least two of the three
jobs because I had CAD experience. If you know or can learn how to read
blueprints, that is another plus.

HTH,
Lisa