RE: Losing my profession?

Subject: RE: Losing my profession?
From: "Klasovsky, Nick" <nklasovsky -at- nordson -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 10:14:29 -0400

My recommendation?

Get a job writing documentation for an old, established manufacturing
company, one that makes industrial equipment. In the last 27 years I've
worked for only two employers, and I've been writing technical documentation
for 20 of those years. I've been with my current employer for 14 years and
hope to stay here until I retire. Yes, no job is guaranteed for life, but
the "old economy" is one hell of a lot more stable than the "new economy"
software industry. TW is not a burnout profession-writing documentation for
real, physical products, ones that you can touch, feel, smell, and work with
is satisfying, sane work. Physical products can't be changed with a few
keystrokes, unlike software. It's easier to keep up with changes, there's
more variety, and the opportunity to learn a wider variety of skills. If
you're technically literate and understand industrial technology, you will
be respected by the people you work with in the old economy industries. Try
it, you'll like it.

Nick Klasovsky
nklasovsky -at- nordson -dot- com