Re: terminology Q

Subject: Re: terminology Q
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 15:02:09 -0400

Chicago says that if there is no ambiguity, just leave out the hyphens.
I don't see any potential for ambiguity; that said, perhaps you do see
something I'm missing. In that case, use hyphens (not en dashes) and
punctuate it low-color-depth monitor.

Here is where you use an en dash:

pre[en dash]World War II

non[en dash]Microsoft Office application

Get it? You use it to separate a prefix from a phrase (rather than a
single word).

The other use of an en dash is to replace a preposition, such as "to,"
or other particle; for example:

9[en dash]5, 30[en dash]31 May

With a space on either side of an en dash, it can be substituted for an
em dash (standard behavior in Word), although only a few major
publishers use this style.

Used in a mathematical expression, space-en dash-space can be
substituted for a true minus sign.

HTH,

Dick