It's that time again -- The Great Canadian Anecdotal Salary Surve y

Subject: It's that time again -- The Great Canadian Anecdotal Salary Surve y
From: Darren Barefoot <Darren -dot- Barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 10:12:10 +0100

Good afternoon,

Despite the fact that I'm currently working in Dublin, Ireland, I'm
continuing to collect anecdotal information on salaries for Canadian tech
writers. The data below indicates what I've collected so far. For more
salary info, see last year's STC salary survey
(http://www.stc.org/PDF_Files/00Survey.pdf).

If anybody else wants to provide more info, please let me know. No names
shall be named. Please provide location, education and experience.

I believe I've unfortunately lost one iteration of my data. I believe I sent
the latest version out to a select group who demonstrated interest. To
identify this latest set of results, I think it had some data on contracting
rates in it.

Needless to say, all amounts are in Canadian dollars. Note also that these
figures do not include benefits such as stock options or bonus packages
(which can range from, according to the respondents, from 10 - 15% of salary
per year). Without naming any names, here's the info I got, heading east to
west. Thanks. DB.

This data is, roughly speaking, from the summer of 2000.

Halifax, NS
$42,000
Writer with one year experience and a Masters in Political Science
$40,000
Writer with one year of experience and two Masters degrees
$35,000
Entry-level writer with Bachelor of Arts in pertinent field (English,
Journalism or Communications)

Montreal, PQ
$30,000 - $35,000
Writer with 0 - 2 years of experience
$35,000 - $48,000
Writer with 0 - 2 years of experience
$48,000 - $55,000
Writer with 2 - 5 years of experience

Toronto, ON
$44,000 - $52,000
Entry-level writers with 0 to 2 years experience
$50,000 - $65,000
Mid-level writers
$62,000 - $80,000
Senior writer

Ottawa, ON
$65,000
Senior writer at post-startup/pre-IPO company with technology diploma

Markham, ON
$63,000 - $67,000
Mid to senior writer

Cambridge, ON
0-1 yr with relevant post secondary: $30,000
0-1 yr without relevant post secondary: $23,000 - 28,000
2-3 yrs with post secondary: $40,000
2-3 yrs without relevant post secondary: $25,000 - $30,000

Winnipeg, MB
$54,000
Writer with twelve years experience and a Masters in English
$43,000
Writer with five years experience and some university

Calgary, AB
$66,000
Senior writer with 6 years and Masters degree in related field

Vancouver, BC
$60,000
Senior, supervising writer with three unrelated degrees and 5 years
experience.
$55,000
Mid-level writer with 3 years experience and some university
$42,000
Mid-level writer with 2 years experience and Bachelor of Fine Arts
$38, 500
Entry-level writer with 1 year experience and Bachelor of Science

Victoria, BC
$48,000
Writer with one year experience and a degree in computer science